Lazy holidays and relaxed routines may have taken their toll on your waistline, but don’t despair. Whether you want to lose a few extra kilos or simply turn over a healthy new leaf, this tasty 7 day diet plan from Slimming World is perfect for moms with no time for fussing.
The meals from the healthy eating plan are quick to prepare and designed with the whole family in mind, so there’s no need to make separate meals – brilliant!
How this 7 day diet plan works
1. Pick a breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Feel free to repeat meals you like the most.
2. Foods in bold are ‘Free Foods’, so you can eat as much of these as you like to satisfy your appetite with no weighing, counting or measuring. Base meals around Free Foods, like veg, lean meat, fish,fat-free dairy, eggs and more, and if you feel hungry between meals, snack on fresh fruit and veg crudités.
3. As well as Free Foods, stock your store cupboard with fat-free salad dressings, low-kilojoule sweeteners, stock, herbs, passata, oil-free tomato purée, soy sauce and spices, which can be used freely to flavour meals.
4. To make sure that you’re enjoying a fully balanced diet, don’t forget to eat dairy that’s high in calcium and carbs that are full of fibre. These can be enjoyed as part of your meals or on their own, just remember to make the most of this 7 day diet plan stick to 1 portion of calcium and 1 portion of fibre each day, and keep to the recommended amounts below:
- Choose 350ml fat-free yoghurt or 250ml low-fat milk, or 30g of full-fat hard cheese or 40g reduced-fat hard cheese.
- Boost your fibre intake by enjoying 60g wholewheat bread, a 60g wholewheat roll or 35g of high-fibre cereal.
5. Choose 2 treats from this list to enjoy every day to help you stay motivated and make sure you don’t feel deprived! You can also pick your own treats, but make sure they’re around 300 kilojoules or 70 calories.
- 20g (1 pkt) Woolworths Slimmer’s Choice crisps
- 14g (1 pkt) Willards Jumpin Jack White Cheddar Popcorn
- 15g chocolate
- Two-finger KitKat
- 125ml glass red, white or rosé wine
- 35ml gin or vodka with a low-kilojoule mixer
- Jolly Jammers biscuit
The breakfasts in this 7 day diet plan all serve 1.
1. BOILED EGGS
Enjoy two boiled eggs with ‘soldiers’ made with 60g wholewheat toast. Have some melon, too.
Two Weet-Bix (or own-brand variety) biscuits topped with milk from your allowance and a chopped banana.
3. BIG BREAKFAST
Grill lean bacon, one or two large mushrooms and halved tomatoes. Fry some sliced onions in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Then fry one or two eggs. Enjoy them all with baked beans.
4. FRUIT AND YOGHURT
Tuck into a big bowl of fresh fruit salad topped with fat-free plain yoghurt.
5. OVERNIGHT OATS
Layer 35g plain porridge oats, 200g fat-free plain yoghurt and mixed berries (fresh or frozen) in a jar. Cover and put in the fridge overnight, so the oats absorb all the yoghurt. In the morning, stir all the layers together and top with more fresh fruit.
6. SCRAMBLED EGG AND VEGGIE FEAST
Fry lightly beaten egg and sliced mushrooms in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Serve with baked beans on the side.
Mix 35g of no-added-sugar muesli with milk from your allowance, topped with fresh fruit of your choice.
The lunches in this 7 day diet plan all serve 1, unless otherwise specified.
1. TUNA SANDWICH
Mix together 3 tbsp fat-free smooth cottage cheese, 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill, 1 tbsp tomato purée and 1 tsp lemon juice. Season, stir in 50g canned, drained tuna in spring water and stir. Split a 60g wholewheat roll in half and layer with sliced cucumber, then top with the tuna mix. Follow with a naartjie or orange.
2. CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD
Grill a skinless chicken breast, then slice. Cut two lean bacon rashers into strips and fry in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Meanwhile, whisk together 100g fat-free smooth cottage cheese, ½ a garlic clove, ½ tsp mustard (made using mustard powder) and the juice of ½ a lemon. Stir in 15g grated Parmesan cheese and season. Mix together lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, the chicken and bacon, and toss with the dressing.
3. BAKED POTATO AND BEANS
Top a large baked potato with baked beans and 30g grated Cheddar cheese (from your allowance). Enjoy with a mixed salad on the side.
4. BEAN PASTA SALAD
Mix together cooked dried pasta, drained, canned red kidney beans, sweetcorn, sliced spring onion, chopped red pepper and halved cherry tomatoes. Stir through some fat-free vinaigrette. Follow with some fresh pineapple sticks.
5. MINTED COURGETTE TORTILLA
Peel and dice 1 large potato and boil for 5 min, then drain well. Spray a large ovenproof pan with cooking spray and stir-fry 2 sliced courgettes for 5 min. Add the potatoes and 1 finely chopped garlic clove and fry for 8–10 min, turning occasionally. Mix together 4 beaten eggs, a small handful of chopped mint, salt and pepper and 2 tbsp water. Add to the pan and cook for 7–8 min until the eggs are almost set. Put the pan under the grill and cook for 5 min. Leave to stand and cut into 4 slices. Enjoy hot or cold with salad leaves. (This serves 4 and it will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days). Have some grapes afterwards.
6. BEEF AND COLESLAW SANDWICH
Cook, peel and grate ½ a small beetroot and mix with 4 tbsp fat-free plain yoghurt, 1 tbsp very finely chopped red onion and ½ a grated small apple. Season and mix well. Enjoy between 60g of wholewheat bread with rocket leaves and slices of lean roast beef. Have some carrot and celery sticks to snack on.
7. TOMATO SOUP
Chop 1 red onion, 1 carrot and 1 celery stick. Spray a saucepan with cooking spray and sweat the veg for 5 min. Add three 400g cans tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato purée, 1 tbsp sweetener and 600ml veg stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 min. Remove from the heat, blitz using a stick blender and season. This serves 4, so save leftovers for another day. For dessert, dip slices of apple in fat-free toffee yoghurt.
Read more: 10 clever hacks to help you tone your tummy
The dinners in this 7 day diet plan all serve 4.
1. THREE-BEAN CHILLI
Heat a frying pan sprayed with cooking spray and fry 1 chopped onion and 4 crushed garlic cloves for 6–8 min. Add 2 tsp ground cumin, 280ml passata and 400g canned cherry tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 min. Stir in 340g canned sweetcorn, 2 chopped peppers (1 red, 1 green), ½ tsp ground cinnamon and 400g canned sugar beans, black beans and kidney beans in chilli sauce. Cook for 15 min, season with salt, pepper and ½ tsp cayenne pepper. Serve with brown rice.
2. SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE
Chop 2 rashers of lean bacon (visible fat removed), 2 onions, 2 carrots and 2 celery sticks. Spray a pan with cooking spray and stir-fry the veg with 2 crushed garlic cloves for 7 min. Add 500g lean mince beef (5% fat or less) or Quorn mince and cook for 3 min until browned. Drain off any excess fat, then add two 400g cans of chopped tomatoes and 2 tsp dried oregano. Crumble in 1 beef stock cube and simmer for 30 min. Serve with cooked dried spaghetti and a crisp salad.
3. BURGER AND CHIPS
Peel and cut 4 baking potatoes into chips. Boil in lightly salted water for 3–4 min, then drain, shaking them slightly to roughen the edges. Transfer to a baking tray, spray with cooking spray and bake for 15–20 min until golden. Meanwhile, grill 4 lean beef burger patties. Serve the burgers in a 60g wholewheat roll with red onion, tomato and cucumber, and the chips on the side.
4. EASY CHICKEN CURRY
Spray a saucepan with cooking spray and stir-fry 1 chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves for 5 min. Add 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces, and stir-fry for another 5 min. Add 1 tbsp tikka curry powder, 6 tbsp tomato purée, 200g passata with onions and garlic, 400ml boiling chicken stock, season and stir. Simmer for 15–20 min until the chicken is cooked. Serve with green veg, such as broccoli and green beans, or brown rice.
Cut 500g lean pork into strips, sprinkle with Chinese five-spice seasoning and fry for 5 min in a wok sprayed with cooking spray. Add matchsticks of carrot, shredded cabbage, sliced peppers, sliced mushrooms and bean sprouts. Cook for 3–4 min, add dried noodles (cook according to the packet instructions). Season with soy sauce.
6. ROAST DINNER
Spray your favourite lean meat with cooking spray and roast to your liking. Meanwhile, parboil peeled potatoes, drain and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray, spray with cooking spray and roast until golden. Serve with vegetables and 100ml gravy (made with granules) per person.
7. SPICY FISH NUGGETS
In a food processor, blitz a small handful fresh parsley, ½ a bunch of spring onions, 300g fish fillet (try hake), 400g raw peeled tiger prawns, with 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp dried chilli flakes and 1 tsp ground ginger, and season. Shape the mixture into 20 nuggets. Spray with cooking spray and grill for 12–15 min, turning halfway, until cooked through and golden brown. Meanwhile, mix together grated courgette and carrot, finely chopped tomato, zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp Tabasco. Serve the nuggets and veg with a bowl of couscous, made according to the packet instructions.
Read more: 7 health tests every woman should have
How to make the most of this 7 day diet plan
- Trim all visible fat off any meat and remove the skin from poultry before you cook it.
- Use cooking spray — It’s much lower in kilojoules.
- Stay hydrated — Aim to drink 6 to 8 glasses of fluid a day. Choose from water, sugar-free drinks, tea and coffee.
- Treat yourself — Choose two treats to enjoy from the list to help you stay motivated. You might be tempted to skip your treats, but if skipping just leads to bingeing later on, you could be sabotaging yourself.
- Spread the word — Tell your friends and family that you’re trying to lose weight and get them behind you. Having the support of loved ones can really make a big difference.
- Buddy up — Evidence shows that you’re three times more likely to succeed when you have the support of a group than if you try to lose weight alone. So get a friend to join you when you start this 7 day diet plan.
- Be shopping savvy — Have a list when you shop and stick to it! You’re much less likely to be swayed by offers, which are often on the less healthy items
- Bring on the veggies — At every meal, aim to fill at least a third of your plate with vegetables. You’ll feel full, increase your nutrient intake and super speed your weight loss.
- Double up — If you and your family enjoy a particular meal, why not make double the amount and freeze half of it, so that you can defrost and reheat on a night when you have less time to cook?
Read more: How to put a stop to binge eating for good