Yoga provides down time. A place where you can feel a sense of calm and get back to basics without hooting taxis, bosses or deadlines. No more children begging you to watch just one more TV show or to-do lists aplenty. Just you… body, mind and soul, connecting, finding balance and inner calm. But how does this help us drop any unwanted kilos? You’ll be surprised! Here are 8 ways yoga can help you lose weight.
1. Stress and anxiety are not only a fact of life, but they’re also a fact of fat. Chronic high stress can prevent you from losing weight. This is where yoga comes in to help. By calming your nervous system and reducing your stress levels, you are more able to drop the weight. Plus, if you’re less stressed, you will be far less inclined to stress eat an entire packet of biscuits.
2. People who practise yoga on a regular basis are also more in touch with themselves and their emotions. Understanding who you are is an essential part of weight loss. We eat bad food because we feel a certain way and yoga helps us to connect to our souls, and that mind-body connection is vital when it comes to putting a stop to emotional eating.
3. Great news! Yoga gives those unwanted cravings the boot! The bad ones anyway. People who stress a lot crave higher calorie foods. So get rid of the stress and the extra calories in one go.
4. See ya later jelly belly — yoga lowers the levels of cortisol (the dreaded stress hormone that holds on to belly fat).
5. Struggling to stay on the move? Feeling lethargic? Yoga helps reduce depression. Happier people are more active and active people burn more calories. Win-win!
6. Yoga helps you sleep better. And let’s face it, if you wake up in the morning rested with energy for the day ahead you are more likely to do some exercise and more able to stay firm in the face of temptation. Cheerio to that sluggish feeling and hello to the spring in your step! Also, sleep deprivation makes us eat more high-calorie foods.
7. Yoga reduces toxicity in your body. Being overweight is a sure sign that your body is high in toxicity. Detoxifying your body can help you lose weight for good. Yoga helps your inner organs, such as your kidneys and liver, work effectively again and help you shed any excess weight.
8. Life is crazy. Life is filled with chaos and it seems to speed up every day. Yoga helps us to take a step back, sit and breathe, relax and take care of our bodies. This helps us to be more mindful about what we put into our bodies for the rest of the day and make better food choices.