Introducing the carb lover’s diet, an eating plan that keeps carbs on the table! No matter what you have heard lately, carbs are not necessarily the enemy – in fact, the correct ones are our bodies’ preferred source of fuel.
Our fab eating plan can help you lose up to 3kgs in a month, and it’s been specially devised for those of us who can’t do without our pasta, pizza and potatoes. If you’ve been struggling to say ‘no’ to those generally forbidden foods, read on – this may be the answer for you…
How the carb lover’s diet works
Choose a breakfast, lunch, dinner, fruit snack and power snack (save your fruit snack until after dinner if you want a dessert). You can have ½ a cup fat-free milk for unlimited tea or coffee – just leave out the sugar!
So, here’s the meal plan…
Combining wholewheat carbs with protein will fill you up and help stop you from reaching for those rusks!
- 30g sugar-free muesli, a chopped pear, 1 cup fat-free or low-fat milk.
- 30g rolled oats, a grated apple, 1 tbsp chopped nuts, soaked in 1 cup fat-free or low-fat milk overnight.
- 30g rolled oats soaked in fat-free or low-fat milk. A handful of berries (fresh or frozen), 1 tsp honey.
- 2 Weet-Bix, 1 cup fat-free or low-fat milk, a sliced peach.
- 1 slice of wholewheat toast, topped with a large poached egg and some grilled tomato slices.
- 1 slice of wholewheat toast, topped with peanut butter and a sliced banana.
Our protein-and-carb combo snacks will keep you going between meals.
- 2 brown-rice oatcakes (try Woolworths) with peanut butter.
- 25g (a small handful) of raw nuts.
- 4 Provita crackers with low-fat soft cheese (like cottage cheese).
- 40g plain air-popped popcorn, with a pinch of cayenne, paprika, black pepper or 1/2 tsp grated Parmesan.
- 2 breakfast biscuits (try BelVita), 4 Brazil nuts.
- 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge, 2 wholewheat or brown-rice oatcakes.
- Skinny latte and 10 almonds.
- 30g mozzarella cheese and a digestive biscuit.
Read more: Learn how to snack yourself slimmer!
Sandwiches, wraps, pasta and potato salads – your carb favourites are here!
- Wholewheat tortilla wrap spread with low-fat soft cheese, topped with 1 slice ham, shredded, and chives. 1 apple and 1 tbsp peanut butter.
- Vegetarian hotdog sausage (try Quorn) in a roll with a small sliced onion, fried in 1 tsp oil and 1 tbsp tomato sauce or lick of mustard. 1 piece of fruit.
- Serving of veggie soup, 1 wholewheat roll with low-fat spread. 1 small low-fat yoghurt. 1 piece of fruit.
- A shop bought noodle, couscous or pasta salad (wholewheat if possible) under 1 500KJ. 1 piece of fruit.
- 1 medium baked sweet potato topped with 1 tbsp low-fat creme fraiche, 2 tbsp black beans, 1 chopped tomato and some fresh coriander.
- Tuna and potato salad – 75g cooked baby potatoes, 1 tin of tuna (in water), 1 tbsp fat-free yoghurt, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp peas, a thinly sliced spring onion. A piece of fruit.
- Ready-made chicken sandwich (check it’s under 1 500KJ). 1/2 cup chocolate milk. Fresh fruit salad.
1 apple/ 1 orange/ 1 naartjie/ 1 kiwi fruit/ 1 pear/ 1 peach or nectarine / 1 plum / 4 big strawberries / 10 grapes / 2 slices of pineapple/ 80g berries such as blueberries or raspberries.
Read more: 20 fun facts about fruits you may not know
A carb curfew? What’s that? Try these scrummy, filling dinners…
Lamb curry – Fry 100g lean lamb mince, 1/2 tsp curry powder with 1 chopped onion. When the meat is cooked, drain off any fat. Stir in 1 tbsp frozen peas (defrosted). Top a small naan bread with baby spinach leaves and the mince mixture. Bake at 180°C for 15 min. Serve with a salad and raita (low-fat plain yoghurt, a little mint sauce and finely chopped cucumber).
Pizza– Spread a small wholewheat pizza base with passata. Top with sliced onion and peppers, mushrooms and whole-kernel corn, and sprinkle with 20g low-fat Cheddar. Bake at 200°C for 12-15 min. Serve with salad leaves.
Chicken curry (Serves 2) – Saute 1/2 an onion with 10g chopped root ginger, 3 crushed garlic cloves and a pinch each turmeric, ground coriander and chilli powder. Add 1 clove, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 cardamom pod and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, plus 2 large chopped skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Brown over medium-high heat. Add 2 chopped tomatoes and water to almost cover the chicken. Bring to the boil; simmer until the chicken is cooked. Add garam masala and coriander before serving with 1 roti per person.
Prawn stir-fry – Heat 1 tbsp oilive oil and fry some veggies. Add 100g prawns, 25g peanuts and 1/2 tbsp soy sauce. Serve with wholewheat noodles.
Sunday roast – 75g sliced roast beef or chicken with gravy, 2 roast potatoes, and carrots and cauliflower.