There’s a lot of talk about fraud and scammers out there finding ways to get your card details, but in fact, your card is one of the safest ways to transact and there are many advantages to using a credit card. Here’s how to protect your money by using your credit card. Say cheers to the scammers!
A Fraud Specialist at FNB Credit Card, Henk Vermeulen, says that fraud makes up less than 0.02% of all FNB credit card payments. To make sure you aren’t in that small percentage and to make sure your bank will refund you if there’s fraud on your card, know that you are responsible for protecting your card details.
There are a few ways to protect your money by using your credit card
1. When using online banking, never click on a link sent to you, even if it looks authentic. This is a common way of trying to get your details under false pretenses, and even the savviest among us seem to fall for this trick. Even if the link looks like it comes from a trusted source, like your bank or medical aid, don’t click on it!
2. Take care at ATMs. Don’t draw money if the ATM has a blank screen and never force your card into an ATM slot.
3. Protect your PIN as this is one of your most precious possessions. Never write it down or store it somewhere like your phone. If your PIN is saved under ‘PIN’ on your phone delete it right now! Recent research shows that 42% of people tell at least one person their PIN. The problem with this is, although you might trust that person, they might not be as cautious as you
4. When you’re out and about, make sure you cover your hand when entering your PIN at a point-of-sale. This will stop people looking over your shoulder.
5. Be extra careful with your card, don’t leave it anywhere, or forget to take it back after buying things. Keep it on you at all times.
6. Immediately cancel your card if it’s been swallowed or you have even a small suspicion that there might have been fraudulent activity. This is the best way to ensure that no money gets taken out of your bank account.
“At the end of the day, be careful with your card. It’s the best way to protect your money,” concludes Vermeulen. “The bank guarantees that if you follow all of the steps above you will be refunded. Cards are simple and quick to replace, and unlike cash, it’s always clear how much has been taken and you can be refunded in a matter of days.”
For more information regarding FNB credit cards, call this toll free number: 0800 110 132.
Now that you know how to keep that card safe, we’ve got 10 of the best South African online clothing sites and 5 of the best South African online decor sites for you to check out. You’re welcome.