Online fraud has become a common occurrence in South Africa and we need to be careful that we don’t fall victim to cyber scams. How do we do this? FNB and Visa have conducted a comprehensive survey of South Africans to find out our online shopping tendencies and learn more about how we can avoid getting scammed.
It’s time to cover your caboose!
- Online shopping is on the rise, with 99% of respondents having done online retail shopping before
- 40% of respondents shop online frequently
- 9/10 respondents use social networks and online banking
- 42% of respondents admit that their pin is not kept secret
4 point online fraud prevention guide:
- If a site is secure, it will have a padlock symbol before the ‘http…’
- There should be an ‘S’ in the URL after ‘http’ (i.e. https://)
- Make sure there is a secure payment option (like having a pin sent to your cell phone)
- If you’re paying with an FNB credit card and your item doesn’t arrive, you can simply claim the cash back