These days, whether you’re eating out, looking for a refreshing drink or a snack for the little ones, the choices are endless. Add to that all the new food movements that are constantly gaining popularity, meal-times can quickly become even more of a chore than usual. Here are a few places to go and things to buy to help your eating clean plan remain a success…
1. The Pudding Shop in Parktown North, Joburg, is, without a doubt, worth a visit. The menu is mostly vegan and vegetarian — but most importantly, it’s delicious, proving that being health conscious doesn’t mean you have to be boring! Phone 061 444 3493 to book your table and experience some guilt-free meals.
2. 65 on Main — the first Banting Café to open in Cape Town — is still a popular choice for locals and tourists in search of a delicious low-carb meal. The extensive menu is all wheat, gluten, sugar and preservative-free, made with fresh, organic ingredients and certainly doesn’t compromise on taste. They offer a range of vegan and kiddies options as well as delicious Banting-inspired treats, such as cauliflower-based pizzas, lamb cutlets and even chocolate brownies. Call them on 021 439 9559.
3. There’s no need to let your healthy eating plan get between you and one of just about everyone’s all-time favourites… the pizza! Col’Cacchio Pizzerias have added five Banting pizzas to their summer menu, as well as some innovative antipasti dishes, delightful salads, desserts and summertime cocktails. Visit your nearest Col’Cacchio to enjoy a little extra summer indulgence.
4. Looking for a refreshing but healthy beverage? Ǘber Flavour has a range of drinks, which are made using 100% fresh fruit juice and rooibos, and come in three flavours. With no added sugar, no preservatives and no colourants, Ǘber Flavour Brews are high in antioxidants and are great for drinking alone or mixing up for cocktails. Enjoy! (*R24,99 from selected retailers.)
5. If you want to extend the goodness to your little ones, Puré Organic Mini Meals are the perfect choice. They came in a range of flavour combinations and will ensure that your tiny tots get the goodness they need. The resealable pouch easily fits into a handbag, ensuring that you’ll have a snack on hand whenever hunger strikes. (*Available from R13,99, Baby City and Clicks stores.)