Rather than waiting until we get ill, why not build our immune systems all-year-round? Physical and emotional stressors – like long working hours, always being on the go, anxiety, lack of sleep, smoking, infectious diseases, some medications, or even menstruation – overload the immune system which then makes it difficult for them to fend off germs that lurk everywhere. So:
Read more: Say no to a cold, boost your immune system
- Don’t pick up and spread infection. Where there are lots of people – like work, school or transport systems – surfaces are covered in germs and we pick them up on our hands then transfer them into our bodies via our noses or mouths. So, wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds at a time, using soap or sanitiser.
- Keep active. Evidence from researchers at Appalachian State University shows fewer sick days are taken by people who do regular aerobic exercise. All it takes is 20 minutes of brisk walking for five or more days a week.
- Get enough sleep Not getting those seven to nine hours of sleep has been shown to weaken the immune system. And we shouldn’t watch TV or work on a tablet in the late evening either.
- Eat to support your immune system. Our BFFs here are fresh vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds because they contain immune supporting nutrients. Go for at least two fruits and four veggies a day, eaten raw, cooked or juiced in smoothies.
- Supplement with protective antioxidants. Antioxidants from fruit, vegetables and nutritional supplements are needed long-term to counter free radical activity and support the immune system. Antioxidants slow or prevent the body’s natural oxidation process that produces free radicals. If these get out of balance, they damage healthy cells and tissues and undermine our immune systems. Infections and chronic lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, immune response problems and premature ageing follow.
- Consider Nativa Immune Complex from the trusted Nativa nutritional supplement range. It is a one-a-day, everyday immune boosting nutritional supplement with a powerful combination of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, herbals and the amino acid Lysine to offer antioxidant protection and to strengthen natural immune defences.
Nativa Immune Complex retails at around R126 for a month’s supply through selected pharmacies, Dis-Chem and Clicks.
Please note: Our competition forms require you to be a newsletter subscriber for a successful entry.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.
This competition closes on 31 August 2019.
Terms and conditions apply.