In our opinion, it’s ALWAYS chocolate cake time. But there isn’t always time to make chocolate cake. Unless you’re making this chocolate mug cake in the microwave in just 5 minutes!
If you need a quick chocolate fix, then this super easy, super delish chocolate mug cake ticks all the right boxes. It doesn’t include any raising agents, which means it’s all kinds of moist and decadent, almost like a brownie. And because there’s no egg in this microwave mug cake recipe, you’ll still be able to make it even if you haven’t been to the grocery store in a while.
Read more: 30 to-die-for chocolate dessert recipes
There’s hardly any washing up to do afterwards, you’ll go from no cake to cake in 5 minutes, and if you want to, you can just pretend that there’s just a hot drink in your mug so you won’t have to share… Ok, this microwave chocolate mug cake is so fast and easy to make, everyone can have their own, so there’s definitely no need to share, and no need to resort to lying. Get the kids to help, they’ll love making and having a whole cake to themselves.
What you will need to make your chocolate mug cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (or less, depending how sweet you’d like it)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 drops vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Whipped cream or ice cream to serve
Here’s how to make your chocolate microwave mug cake
1. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a microwave safe ceramic mug. Stir with a fork or spoon to mix and break up any clumps.
2. Add the water, oil, vanilla and cinnamon to the cup and stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
3. Place in the microwave and heat on high until the mixture is cooked through, about 1 minute and 40 seconds. (You may have to experiment and adjust the time for less or more powerful microwaves. If you don’t know the power level on your microwave, start with 60 seconds and increase until the cake is done. It should still be moist when cooked through, not dry).
4. Let your microwave chocolate mug cake cool for a minute (if you can) and if you’ve got any, serve it with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. If you don’t have cream or ice cream, don’t worry, your chocolate mug cake will be just as delicious as is!
*Note: if you’d like the consistency of your microwave chocolate mug cake to be a little lighter and less like a brownie, add a pinch or two of baking powder to the dry ingredients.
If you don’t have a sweet tooth and you’re looking for a quick and delicious savoury snack, click here to try making this instant pizza in a mug. It will take you 5 minutes, and your life will never be the same again…