For the apple purée (makes 1 cup):
4 apples, peeled and cubed
2tsp lemon juice
For the muffins:
½cup wholewheat flour
½cup cake flour
½tbsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup coarsely grated apple
½ cup prepared apple purée
1 large ripe banana, mashed with a fork
2 eggs, beaten
90ml sunflower or canola oil
1tsp vanilla essence
- For the apple purée: Place the apples, water and lemon juice in a small pot. Cover and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Simmer until soft. Drain and reserve the liquid. Purée the apples with a stick blender until smooth, adding some of the cooking liquid, if necessary.
- For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place muffin cups into a muffin pan or lightly grease a muffin pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and stir in the grated apple. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a smooth batter -- taking care not to over-mix it. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack and serve as a snack or in a lunch box.