Beetroot balls with smoky tomato sauce
- 400g raw beetroot, trimmed and peeled
- 400g sweet potatoes
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 2 tbsp polenta
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 400g passata
- 200ml vegetable stock
- A pinch of sugar
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- Small handful oregano leaves
- Grate the beetroot, then squeeze out the excess water with your hands (wear gloves!). Pierce the potatoes, then microwave for 6 min, until cooked through. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl, roughly mash the chickpeas with the back of a fork. Scoop out the potato flesh and add to the mix, along with the beetroot, garlic and chilli powder. Mix well, then shape into 16 balls.
- Mix the polenta and sesame seeds together, then roll the balls in this mixture, one at a time, and loosely cover. Leave to firm up in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion and cook for 4 min, or until softened. Add the carrot and red pepper, stir and cook for 2 more min. Add the passata, stock, sugar and paprika. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 min.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, and brown the beetroot balls, in batches, on all sides. Add to the sauce along with the oregano and serve.