400g raw beetroot, trimmed and peeled
400g sweet potatoes
400g canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
3 garlic cloves, crushed
A pinch of chilli powder
2 tbsp polenta
1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
200ml vegetable stock
A pinch of sugar
¾ tsp smoked paprika
Small handful oregano leaves
- Grate the beetroot, then squeeze out the excess water with your hands (wear gloves!). Pierce the potatoes, then microwave for 6 min, until cooked through. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl, roughly mash the chickpeas with the back of a fork. Scoop out the potato flesh and add to the mix, along with the beetroot, garlic and chilli powder. Mix well, then shape into 16 balls.
- Mix the polenta and sesame seeds together, then roll the balls in this mixture, one at a time, and loosely cover. Leave to firm up in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion and cook for 4 min, or until softened. Add the carrot and red pepper, stir and cook for 2 more min. Add the passata, stock, sugar and paprika. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 min.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, and brown the beetroot balls, in batches, on all sides. Add to the sauce along with the oregano and serve.