For the sponge (this recipe yields enough sponge for 8 to 10 servings, so leftovers can be frozen)
70g castor sugar
40g wholewheat flour
60g cake flour
5ml vanilla paste or extract
For the yoghurt jelly
250ml Woolworths Low-fat Plain Ayrshire Yoghurt
2 gelatine leaves
5ml vanilla extract or paste
For the berries
50g raw unsalted shelled pistachio nuts, roasted and chopped
6 mint sprigs
10g toasted coconut flakes
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, vanilla and castor sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Attach the whisk to the mixer and whisk the eggs to a light and fluffy consistency.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and allow it to cool. Sift the cake flour, and then gently fold both flours into the egg mixture. Fold the butter into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the tray and spread evenly with a palette knife. Bake the sponge for 10-20 min until golden and cooked. Allow to cool, then cut into rounds to fit into serving glasses. Each round should not be thicker than 0,5cm.
- Blend 100g of the raspberries with about 20ml water to a sauce consistency and brush the puree generously over the sponge bases to soak them.
- Place the gelatine leaves in cold water and soak for about 10 min. Discard the water and put the gelatine aside.
- Warm the yoghurt, sugar and vanilla, but don’t let it boil. Stir in the gelatine and let it melt. Spoon about 30-40ml of the yoghurt mixture in the bottom of the serving glasses and allow to set in the fridge. Keep the rest of the mixture aside.
- Once the first layer of yoghurt jelly layer is set, place an even layer of berries of your choice. Add the sponge rounds on top for the third layer, and spoon 1 tbsp of the reserved yoghurt jelly. Top with of the rest of the berries. Cover the trifles gently with clingwrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle over the pistachio nuts, and garnish with the mint and coconut flakes.