300g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
90g soft brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
For the filling:
3 tbsp milk
10 tbsp sugar-free strawberry jam
For the drizzle:
100g dark chocolate, broken into squares
2 tbsp golden syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar. In a measuring jug, combine the buttermilk, milk, vanilla and oil. Whisk together with a fork. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together to make a thick, smooth batter.
- Heat a heavy-based, non-stick flapjack pan with a smidgen of oil. Add a large ladleful of the batter, to spread to 18cm. Cook very gently, and when bubbles start appearing on the surface after a min or two, turn over the flapjack with a large spatula. Cook for another min on other side. Put on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture, interleaving each flapjack with greaseproof paper. Wrap them in foil and keep warm in an oven on a very low temperature.
- To make the filling, mix together the mascarpone and milk to make a smooth, spreading consistency. For the drizzle, put the chocolate, butter, syrup and 4 tbsp boiling water in a bowl resting over a pan of simmering water. Allow to melt.
- Spread and stack the flapjacks with alternate layers of mascarpone and jam, finishing with mascarpone on top. Sprinkle with blueberries.
- Stir the chocolate mixture until well combined and glossy and drizzle over the stacked pancakes. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.