As South Africa’s most famous indigenous tea, Rooibos tea is more than just a deliciously wholesome brew. Here are some health and beauty benefits of Rooibos you may not know.
Rooibos tea is fast becoming a versatile cooking ingredient for many, both locally and internationally. Naturally caffeine free, Rooibos is bursting with nutrients and anti-oxidants. This tea adds vitality and goodness to any meal, giving dishes colourfully rich warmth, as well as enhancing a variety of flavours.
Did you know?
- Is naturally caffeine free, is low in tannins and contains no sugar or additives.
- Is used in a variety of products, including cosmetics and food.
- Can be used to replace the liquid content of any recipe for extra zest and flavor – try it in soups, stews and sauces.
- Can be used as a natural tenderiser.
- Is really good for you. It contains a complex mix of flavonoids, including aspalathin (the most active anti-oxidant) and the rare glucoside nothofagin. Rooibos also contains orientin, iso-orientin, vitexin and iso-vitexin. These anti-oxidants help fend off free radicals which weaken the body’s natural defenses and cause ageing, a declining immune system and the onset of a wide variety of diseases.
- Is an effective thirst-quencher and keeps the body hydrated.
- Can be used to dilute fruit juice, and will keep in the fridge for a while.
- Can be used as a substitute for milk or water and makes a delicious filling for milk tart! Simply steep Rooibos tea bags in milk before heating. Other yummy uses include poaching apples in Rooibos instead of water, as well as soaking dried fruit overnight or cooking fruit in the tea to make a delicious marmalade.
Health and beauty benefits:
Rooibos has so many health advantages!
- It is completely pure and natural.
- Its mineral content helps increase the nutritional value of any dish.
- If you have dark hair, rinse it with Rooibos to give it a healthy.
- Cooled rooibos teabags can help soothe tired or red eyes.
- Wash your face with Rooibos instead of water to refresh your skin and improve your complexion and skintone.
- Rooibos is great for treating skin irritations, such as inflammation, sunburn, eczema and nappy rash.
- Lukewarm Rooibos can help to treat hay-fever (by gently drawing the tea through your sinuses), insomnia, digestive upsets and colicky babies.
- Rooibos is good for your pets, too! Wash you pet in a solution of Rooibos to help relieve eczema. It’s also safe for them to enjoy in their food.
- Leftover tea is also great for nourishing your plants.
For more Rooibos health, visit www.rooibosltd.co.za.