Dairy-free lemon curd
- 4 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 100g dairy-free spread (we used Olé)
- grated zest of 2 lemons, plus the juice of 3 lemons
- 175g castor sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- Beat the whole eggs, yolks and cornflour together in a large bowl and place to one side. Put the dairy-free spread in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring until it starts to melt. Add the lemon zest, juice, sugar and salt. Keep stirring constantly until the spread has all melted and the sugar has dissolved. Strain through a sieve into another pan or large bowl and return the strained liquid to the pan over a low-medium heat.
- Pour in the beaten egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly to combine. Keep whisking until the mixture has the consistency of thick custard.
- Remove from the heat. Leave to cool completely, then pour into a sterilised jar and seal. Store in the fridge (it will last for 1 week), or use it to make the diary-free lemon meringue cake on page 72 of our October issue.