We’re happy to report that rooibos is not just for drinking in a mug – the rooibos cocktail movement has taken over bars across the world as mixologists dub rooibos cocktails this season’s favourite party drink.
Here, we bring you 7 easy cocktail recipes with rooibos – perfect for summer!
Ernest du Toit, spokesperson of the SA Rooibos Council, says the fresh, full and natural flavour profile of rooibos means you don’t need a lot of different ingredients to achieve the perfect cocktail indulgence — which is great because we’re all about making easy cocktail recipes and spending the rest of our time relaxing.
Rooibos tea is an easy and effective way to boost any cocktail. The subtleties of rooibos tea play well off vodka and specifically gin, since the latter has a lot of the same characteristics as the tea,” he says.
We know about the beauty benefits of rooibos, but did you know rooibos is good for you even in a cocktail? While most cocktails are often packed with just as many calories as a doughnut, Du Toit points out that swapping calorie-rich ingredients for rooibos – which contains no fat or carbohydrates – means your rooibos cocktails will be a great slimming alternative, and also contain disease-preventing antioxidants, which protect against cancer, heart disease, and stroke. So basically, these easy cocktail recipes are delicious and good for you too!
Try these 7 rooibos cocktail recipes that are sure to rock your party
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY COCKTAIL
- 45ml The Black Grouse (or other) Whiskey
- 30ml rooibos tea concentrate
- 150ml cream sherry
- orange bitters
- Combine all ingredients (except the bitters) and shake over ice
- Double strain and garnish with a dash of orange bitters
BLACKBERRY AND ROOIBOS COCKTAIL
- 6 blackberries
- 45ml Shochu (a trendy Japanese clear distilled spirit similar to vodka)
- 30ml sweet white vermouth
- 45ml chilled brewed rooibos tea
- 1 lemon twist
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle 5 berries with the Shochu, vermouth and tea
- Add ice and stir
- Pour through a fine strainer into a chilled coupe
- Garnish with the remaining berry and the twist
ROOIBOS TEA PUNCH
- 500ml strong rooibos tea, cooled
- 500ml peach juice
- At least 100ml vodka
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- 2 peaches, thinly sliced
- Combine all the ingredients in a large jug and stir well
- Serve over ice
ICED ROOIBOS TEA COCKTAIL
- 60ml rooibos espresso
- 30ml cherry vodka
- 15 ml milk
- ½ cup of ice
- Cherries to garnish
- In a serving glass add the rooibos espresso, cherry vodka, and ice
- Stir mixture then add milk
- Garnish with cherries
FIRE AND SPICE TEA COCKTAIL
- 3 cups of rooibos chai tea, chilled
- 1 cup of cranberry juice
- 120ml vodka
- 30ml limoncello
- Cranberries and/or thinly sliced lemons for garnish
- Combine the chilled tea with the cranberry juice, vodka and Limoncello
- Shake over ice. Serve chilled in martini glasses, champagne flutes, or short tumblers.
- Garnish with the cranberries and lemons
ROOIBOS TEA GIN
Ingredients and method
- Add 1/4 cup loose rooibos tea leaves to 3 litres of your favourite gin
- Allow to steep for 3 hours or a few days at room temperature
- Mix with your favourite cocktail
- 750ml brandy
- 2 cloves
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 750ml strong, hot rooibos
- 600g white sugar (750ml)
- 25ml honey
- Add cloves and cinnamon to the brandy, shake the bottle and allow it to infuse overnight.
- Heat the sugar and rooibos tea over moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the honey.
- Remove the cloves and cinnamon from the brandy.
- Add the brandy to the tea syrup and mix well.
- Pour into sterilized bottles and seal.
For more information about rooibos and all its uses, visit the SA Rooibos Council.