Finding ways to make your diet healthier during the holidays will mean that you won’t have to say no to everything. Don’t know how to make healthy food choices this silly season? Flora shows us how…
It can be very difficult to say ‘no’ to festive treats when you’re trying to watch what you’re eating, so it’s no surprise that healthy eating plans usually fall by the wayside during this time of year.
But how do you fill your table with food that not only tastes good, but is also heart-healthy? The key lies in balancing your plant-based foods with Christmas classics (did somebody say pork belly?) and finding ways to make them healthier without losing the delicious factor.
Which is why Flora hosted a Festive Masterclass at the Pick n Pay Good Food Studio in Johannesburg. Lucky guests got the chance to taste scrumptious festive dishes while learning more about making smart choices for a healthy festive season.
All of the dishes were made with Flora margarine, which is made from 100% plant-based oils like sunflower-, canola- and linseed oil. These oils, along with added vitamins and minerals, support a heart-healthy lifestyle, while adding flavour to your dishes.
Flora is so much more than just a tasty spread. It can also be used in cooking and as an ingredient, just as the Festive Masterclass host, Zintle Ntshikila, demonstrated by preparing the dishes everyone indulged in. Zintle says, ‘As someone who has been on an extensive wellness journey, having lost a lot of weight and made big changes to my eating habits, I find Flora to be a great addition to my cooking.’
Roseanne Lombard, a dietitian, also reinforced the importance of plant-based eating, and the merits of margarine as a plant-based spread with heart-health benefits.
One of the guests, Nthwana Ngoma, added that she was astounded by how delicious and flavourful the meals turned out: ‘Yummy! You can do more with Flora, it’s not just a spread!’
Try this delicious recipe by The Green Dietitian:
Mexican quinoa lettuce tacos with spicy avocado drizzle
- For the tacos:
- A cup dry white quinoa
- 3 mielies
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- green pepper, chopped
- yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the avocado drizzle:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Flora Gold
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 handful coriander
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt to taste
For the tacos:
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Steam mielies in the microwave for 6 minutes or until cooked. Once cooked, remove the corn from the cob and add the corn to a mixing bowl.
- Mix together cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onion, and mango.
For the drizzle:
- Combine all ingredients with Flora Gold in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place a spoonful of the Mexican salad mix into a Romaine lettuce leaf to make a taco and drizzle with the spicy avocado dressing.
- If you enjoy your meat, you can add some fried mince to the mix or finely chopped smoked chicken.
Recipe by The Green Dietitian: Passionate about nutrition, determined to help others and inspired by her own transformation from a plan-based lifestyle change, Jessica Kotlowitz is The Green Dietician.
For more heart-healthy meal inspiration and great plant-based recipes for the festive season, visit the Flora website.