80g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
225g plus 2tbsp castor sugar
1 egg yolk
3 eggs, beaten
2 drops almond extract
1 lemon, zested
3 lemons, juiced
icing sugar, to dust
2 figs, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Fully line a 20 cm square baking tin with two strips of non-stick baking paper overlapping in a cross, so they overhang the sides of the tin to help lift the bake out when cooked.
- Whizz 150g of the flour, butter and 2tbsp sugar in a food processor until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and almond extract, then whizz to bring together.
- Tip into the prepared tin and press down evenly around the base and sides. Prick several times with a fork and bake for 15 min until light golden; remove and set aside. Turn the oven down to 160°C.
- Whisk the remaining eggs, castor sugar and lemon zest until smooth, then pour in the lemon juice. Add the remaining flour and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into the baked base and cook for 40–45 min until set with a slightly crusty top. Leave to cool, run a knife around the edge to release, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Top each square with a slice of fig.