We all love French toast, but admit it, it can be a bit of a hassle to make, and then you have to wash all those dishes afterwards. Which is particularly annoying if you’re only making French toast for one! Instead of going through all that (or even worse, not having French toast at all!), try this recipe for French toast in a mug — you can make it in the microwave in 5 minutes.
Because you’re making this French toast in a mug, it ends up with a texture that’s very similar to bread and butter pudding, which we’re definitely not complaining about!
What you’ll need to make microwave French toast in a mug
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp syrup or honey (you can add more or less syrup depending on how sweet your sweet tooth is)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 slice of buttered bread (anything you have in the bread bin will work, slightly stale bread is fine)
- 1 tbsp chopped chocolate (you can also use chocolate chips or raisins, or leave it out if you don’t have anything in the pantry; your French toast will still be delicious)
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
Here’s how to make French toast in a mug
1. In a microwavable mug, mix together the egg, milk, syrup, cinnamon and salt until well combined.
2. Cut or tear your bread into bite-sized pieces, then add the pieces to the mug, gently pressing them down and stirring so they’re all coated in the mix.
3. Add the chocolate pieces and shift the mix around so the chocolate is more or less evenly distributed.
4. If you’re using it, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top.
5. Microwave on high for a total of 2 minutes, stopping the microwave roughly every 30 seconds. When you stop, count to 10, then start the microwave again. It’s important to follow these steps to prevent the French toast from exploding in your microwave!
6. Let your French toast in a mug cool for 1 or 2 minutes, then sprinkle some icing sugar on top and serve.
But wait, there’s more… If you haven’t already tried them, you are going to love our other 5 minute in a mug recipes.
- For a couldn’t-be-easier lunch or snack, you have to try this microwave pizza in a mug.
- Looking for an instant chocolate fix? Then this gooey chocolate cake in a mug is the way to go (it’s even vegan friendly!).