Yes, that’s right, we’re going to show you how to make edible chocolate bowls, so you can eat the dish your dessert comes in, too! Making them is REALLY fun. Get the kids involved — it might be a bit messy, but they’ll love it!
Top tips before you start
- The size of your balloon and how thick you make your bowls will determine how many edible chocolate bowls you can make from your slabs of chocolate.
- The thicker your bowl, the less brittle and sturdier it will be. A thin bowl looks delicate, but it may crack or melt easily.
- Both normal and cooking chocolate work perfectly well, but cooking chocolate stands up to abuse better, so if your bowls are going to be exposed to heat, rather use cooking chocolate.
Ingredients you’ll need to make edible chocolate bowls
- Slab milk or dark chocolate
- Slab white chocolate
- Non-stick spray
What else you’ll need to make edible chocolate bowls
- A balloon
- Mug or bowl
How to make edible chocolate bowls
1. Break the chocolate slabs into small pieces. Melt the milk or dark and white chocolate separately, either in the microwave or in a bain marie (double boiler). If you’re using the microwave, check on and stir your chocolate regularly to avoid burning.
2. While you allow the melted chocolate to cool (it needs to be about room temperature so that it doesn’t pop the balloon!), blow up your balloon — not too big — and wipe it down, then give it a coat of non-stick spray.
3. Place the balloon — knot side down — into a mug or a bowl. Pour your first layer of chocolate, a little bit at a time, onto the base of the balloon, encouraging it to go over the edges with your spoon if necessary. Then do the same using the white chocolate. Repeat this, alternating between the dark and white chocolate, for as many layers as you like. Place in the fridge to set.
4. Once the chocolate has set, remove the balloon from the mug or bowl, and turn it upside down. Place a small cut in the knot of the balloon, allowing it to deflate slowly (if you pop the balloon too quickly, the chocolate could crack. Slowly pull the balloon away from the chocolate.
5. Put some fruit and cream (or anything else your heart desires) in your edible chocolate bowls and serve immediately.