How dainty and gorgeous are these biscuits? Perfect for a high tea, or when you feel like an extra special treat.
Serves: Makes 30
Cooking time: Ready in 40 min + cooling time
Energy: 519kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- 250g butter, softened
- 150g castor sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300g flour
- icing sugar, to dust
- 6 tbsp strawberry (or raspberry) jam
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. Add the flour and mix in well -- using your hands is best. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface, then divide into 2 pieces and form each into a roll. Wrap in cling wrap and chill for 20 to 30 min.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to about 5mm thick and cut out 30 circles with a fluted 6-cm cutter, then cut out flower or round shapes from their centres. Gather up all the trimmings and re-roll the dough, along with the second piece of dough, to make 30 more biscuits for the jammy dodger bases.
- Transfer to lined baking trays in batches and bake for 10 to 12 min until pale golden. Remove from the tray and cool on a rack.
- Sift icing sugar liberally over the biscuits with holes. Sandwich the biscuits together with the jam.