2 black cardamom pods
8 green cardamom pods
5cm cinnamon stick
2tsp cumin seeds
5 to 8 dried kashmiri chillies, seeds shaken out
2 dried bay leaves
8 large cloves garlic
25g ginger, peeled
7 tbsp vegetable oil
600g bone-in lamb, cut into large cubes
300g full-cream yoghurt, stirred well
1 tbsp ground coriander
¾ to 1 tsp garam masala
1½ tsp fennel seeds, ground
2 tbsp ground almonds
1 tsp paprika, for colour
1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Grind the whole spices and bay leaves to a powder. Blend the garlic and ginger to a paste with a splash of water.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the lamb well over a high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium heat, stirring, until the garlic is cooked.
- Add the yoghurt and cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes until the meat has absorbed all the yoghurt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced by a third. Add the ground whole spices, ground coriander and salt and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Add a good splash of water if the sauce looks dry.
- Add the garam masala, a little black pepper, the fennel seeds and ground almonds. Season, add the paprika, cook for 1 minute, then top with the coriander.