1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
400g diced leg of lamb
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp ground almonds
4 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
250ml plain yoghurt
Few saffron threads
2 tbsp milk, warmed
200g basmati rice
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish and fry the onion until golden. Add the sultanas and cook for a few min. Take out half the mixture and set aside.
- Add the lamb and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally until browned. Meanwhile, put the garlic, ginger, almonds and 2 tbsp water into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Add the tikka curry paste to the lamb, cook for 1 min, then add the garlic mixture, along with 200ml water and the yoghurt. Stir well, cover and cook in the oven for 1 hr until the meat is tender.
- Put the saffron in the warmed milk and leave to infuse. About 20 min before the lamb is done, put the rice into a pan with 1 tsp salt and 400ml water. Cover and cook for 15 min, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- To serve, pile the rice on top of the lamb, push a wooden spoon handle into the centre of the rice to make a hole. Pour in the saffron milk, then stir the rice and lamb tikka together. Spoon the reserved onions and sultanas on top.