A fail-safe recipe that may take a little more time to make than other easy dessert recipes. Don’t worry though; as promised, it’s pretty simple and delicious, too!
- 60g butter
- 225g castor sugar
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and sliced into 6 rings
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry (about 375g)
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Heat a non-stick frying pan and add the butter. Let it melt, then add the sugar and 60ml water and cook for about 5 min, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the pineapple slices and cook for 15-20 min, flipping the pineapple halfway through, until you have a dark caramel. Give the pan a shake every couple of min to stop the pineapple catching.
- Place a pineapple slice and about 1½ tbsp of the syrup in the bases of 6 x 9cm pie tins. Cut out circles from the pastry just larger than the tins, place a circle over each tin and tuck in the edges. Place the tins on a baking tray and cook for 18-20 min, until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Run a knife round the edge of each tart and invert on to plates quickly. Serve with a dollop of ice cream, if you like.
Recipe and photograph from ti-mediacontent.com