The combination of silky custard, tart apples and fluffy meringue is such a winner. And the fact that this dessert is gluten free is such a bonus.
Cooking time: 50 min + cooling time
Energy: 2088kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 14g
- 4 large cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 350ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 225g castor sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp gluten-free cornflour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Chop the apples and place in a deep saucepan with the raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover with a lid and gently heat until softened and slightly saucy.
- To make the custard, gently heat the milk, cream and vanilla until steaming. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp cornflour. Slowly pour the hot cream over the yolks, whisking all the time. Once combined, pour back into the pan and return to the heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 to 4 min until thickened, then set aside.
- Put the apples in a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish. Pour over the custard and allow to cool. Heat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add the remaining sugar, whisking constantly until stiff peaks form. Whisk through the rest of the cornflour and vinegar, then spoon over the custard. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 min until lightly golden and set.