Gnocchi… It’s one of those dishes that just looks so fancy, you almost wouldn’t even consider trying to make it because you’d assume it must be super tricky.
Well, that would be wrong! Using just three pantry ingredients from your shopping list, it’s actually surprisingly easy to make this auhetic Italian dish, and it’s sure to impress your family or a crowd time and time again.
Read more: The only white sauce recipe you’ll ever need
5 easy steps to making gnocchi
- 1kg waxy potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 egg yolks
- 200g flour
How to make gnocchi
Step 1: Simmer the potatoes in salted water until tender (around 30 minutes). Drain and peel, setting aside in the pan to dry out. Pass the potatoes through a ricer, or mash by hand.
Step 2: Season, then beat in the egg yolks.
Step 3: Work in the flour with your hands until you have a smooth, sticky dough. Don’t overwork the dough.
Step 4: Tip the dough out onto a work surface dusted with flour and roll out to form sausage-shaped logs around 1cm thick. Cut into chunks about 2cm long — you should have enough dough for around 170 pieces. Press the pieces onto a fork to make a slight indent (for catching delicious sauce).
Step 5: Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi in boiling water for around 1 minute, or until they rise to the surface. It’s better to cook the gnocchi in batches than to overcrowd your pot. If you have a large pot, we recommend cooking this gnocchi recipe in 4 batches. Fish the gnocchi out with a slotted spoon as they start to float. Quickly run under cold water for a few seconds, then use half with the sauce and freeze the rest to use later.
Now that you’ve got the gnocchi recipe right, it’s time to make the perfect sauce. You can either try a basic tomato sauce, or change it up a bit with this deliciously savoury sausage-tomato combination. The fact that it’ll be ready in a matter of minutes is just a bonus!
The perfect sauce for your gnocchi: tomato & sausage sauce
- 400g sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Small bunch of fresh basil, torn
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Take the sausages out of their skins and break up slightly. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and brown the meat for around 10 minutes. Put on a plate.
- Add the garlic, basil and tomatoes to the hot oil in the pan, along with plenty of seasoning, and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the sausage meat to the pan and add a splash of balsamic vinegar to taste. Serve with half the gnocchi, covered by a few Parmesan shavings.