2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
450g fresh ripe tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
1 litre vegetable stock
- Like a strong flavour? Roast the tomatoes first with oil, garlic and fresh tarragon or rosemary.
- Save some time by roughly grating the veg in a food processor or swapping fresh tomatoes for canned ones.
- Give your soup an exotic twist and add roasted red peppers, red lentils and ras el hanout spice.
- Freeze it Pop it in the freezer in individual bags; defrost before reheating.
- Make it creamy by swirling in a touch of whipping cream and heating through.
- Don't waste the tomato seeds, rather spread them on a toasted baguette and add a drizzle of olive oil and plenty of salt.
- On a diet? Skip the oil and cook the veg in a splash of water to make it a really guilt-free soup.