2tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2x400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1tbsp red wine vinegar
1tbsp ground nutmeg
75g Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
2 leeks, sliced
150g asparagus spears, cut into 3cm lengths
200g baby spinach
250g ricotta, beaten until smooth
50g pine nuts, toasted
12 sheets dried lasagne, half-cooked in boiling water until soft enough to bend, for about 5 min
125g mozzarella, sliced
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Fry the garlic in 1tbsp oil for 1 min, then add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar and sugar.
- Season and cook for 10 mins.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour to form a paste and cook for 1-2 mins. Gradually add the milk, stirring until it’s incorporated. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 mins until smooth and thick. Add nutmeg, then stir in half the Parmesan and season well.
- Fry the leeks in the remaining oil until soft.
- Turn up the heat, add the asparagus and fry for 2 mins, then add the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Mix with the ricotta and pine nuts; season well. Spoon the leek mix into a lasagne sheet and roll up. Repeat with the remaining sheets.
- Pour half the tomato sauce into an oven proof dish and arrange the lasagne rolls on top.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top, then add the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- Cook for 20–30 mins until golden.