Vegetarian chickpea salad
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- ¼ cucumber, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, quartered and sliced
- 1 slice feta, cubed
- 2 x 410g can chickpeas or beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado (when in season)
- Salad dressing:
- 1 tbsp red or white grape vinegar
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 tsp dried or 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- lemon juice and black pepper, to taste
- Mix all the salad ingredients together, except the avo. Then mix all the dressing ingredients together and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Toss the dressing through the salad. Keep the avocado separate; cut and mix through just before eating.
Tips:For a different flavour, use orange juice instead of vinegar in the salad dressing. This salad would be delicious with herbs like mint and parsley. Add fresh leaves to the salad just before serving. Beans like red kidney beans, butter beans and cannellini beans work well in this dish. Use a combination of beans and chickpeas or just beans, if preferred. Enjoy as a light meal or as lunch at work. Pack a portion of fruit for a more filling lunch. Recipe courtesy of Cooking From The Heart South Africa and Pharma Dynamics.