- 300g chicken thighs, bone in 900ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 lemongrass sticks, bruised
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 4cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 100g rice noodles
- 60g pak choi, halved
- 75g bean sprouts
- Small handful each of coriander and mint leaves
- 1 lime, quartered
- Remove the skin from the chicken and trim off excess fat, then carefully remove the bones.
- Pour the chicken stock into a deep pan. Add the chicken bones, fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic, ginger and 1 red chilli, sliced. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover for 1 hr to infuse.
- Add the chicken for 15 min, until cooked through, then remove all the ingredients from the soup with a slotted spoon and allow to cool.
- Once cool, shred the chicken and set aside. Bring the soup back to the boil and add the noodles. Cook for 8 min, then add the chicken for 2 more min until the noodles are tender.
- Divide the chicken, noodles and pak choi between 2 bowls and pour over the soup. Top with fresh bean sprouts, coriander, mint and the other chilli, sliced. Squeeze over lime juice to serve.
Digital editor at Essentials magazine with an interest in online (duh!), a passion for finding easy solutions, and a love for all things delightful (think road trips, sweet treats and romcoms).