- 300g chicken thighs, bone in 900ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 lemongrass sticks, bruised
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 4cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 100g rice noodles
- 60g pak choi, halved
- 75g bean sprouts
- Small handful each of coriander and mint leaves
- 1 lime, quartered
- Remove the skin from the chicken and trim off excess fat, then carefully remove the bones.
- Pour the chicken stock into a deep pan. Add the chicken bones, fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic, ginger and 1 red chilli, sliced. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover for 1 hr to infuse.
- Add the chicken for 15 min, until cooked through, then remove all the ingredients from the soup with a slotted spoon and allow to cool.
- Once cool, shred the chicken and set aside. Bring the soup back to the boil and add the noodles. Cook for 8 min, then add the chicken for 2 more min until the noodles are tender.
- Divide the chicken, noodles and pak choi between 2 bowls and pour over the soup. Top with fresh bean sprouts, coriander, mint and the other chilli, sliced. Squeeze over lime juice to serve.