Love is in the air. It’s everywhere, and yet with all these bazillions of humans running around in search of it, it can be a matter of decades before we find it. Often we spend years with the wrong person, desperately trying to make it work and convincing ourselves that it is in fact ok. When we should actually cut our ties and let go.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself if Mr Right is really Mr Right.
1. Are alarm bells ringing? Trust your instincts. If you have little warning bells chiming, no matter the size, trust that your gut is telling you something. Think about it. Take your time to find out what the bells are saying. Perhaps it’s something that can be fixed, but it could also be something that can’t. Either way you have to get to the bottom of it.
2. Are you friends? Friendship is the basis of any life-long relationship — passion is great, love is better, but friendship is the thing that can hold it all together.
3. Are you happy with him? You shouldn’t feel obligated to be with your partner. Be happy that you get to go home to that person. Butterflies don’t last forever, but joy sure should.
4. Do you feel free to be yourself all the while with him? If you feel you are compromising parts of yourself to make him happy, chances are you are not happy yourself. You have to be able to stay true to yourself, always. Honour who you are — the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s you after all, you might as well accept all of it — and the person you are with should follow suit.
5. Finally, if you close your eyes, can you see yourself walking down the aisle at your fairy-tale wedding (if that’s your vibe) towards him? Not his face? Stopping at the alter and doing a runaway bride? No point in continuing. Don’t settle. He is out there and there’s no point wasting time with someone who is not right for you. Be patient — true, unconditional love is out there and will come along when you least expect it.
To love is to receive a glimpse of heaven.” – Karen Sunde