With so much dating advice being thrown at us, how do you know what advice to use when dating again after a break-up, and what to lose?
1. Ditch the list. Writing down 139 things that you’re looking for in ‘Mr Right’, is expecting too much (yes, really!). And, um… you’re not perfect either, you know! If you’re obsessing about everything you THINK you need in a partner, you’ll likely miss ‘Mr Nice Guy’ who’s right in front of you.
2. Stop overanalysing EVERYTHING. So you went out twice, then he didn’t call you back? It happens. To all of us. You have our permission to throw yourself a pity party (a short one, with only one tub of ice cream), then move on.
3. Don’t feel a spark after the first few dates? Trust your gut – there’s no point wasting time on a guy just because your mother likes him and he seems good on paper.
4. Don’t put your life on hold. Imagine how much fun you could be having instead of sitting at home waiting for Mr Right to find you. Our best dating advice is to stop obsessing over finding a partner and just get on with life — that’s when you’re most likely to come across ‘the one’. After all, very few great love stories start with ‘I was slobbing out on my couch when…’
5. Following on from our last piece of dating advice: get out there. Go to new places. If you’re into sporty guys, you might not meet him at your local bar, but you might meet him if you join that ultimate frisbee team, so be open to new experiences. You might even enjoy them!
6. Accept that you won’t be able to change your partner. If they tick the IMPORTANT relationship boxes, and you have fun together, then they’re about as close to ‘perfect’ as you’re going to get.